I have been told that I have a relationship that many people envy. Tom and I are happy together, really happy, and for whatever reason, our marriage is sometimes the topic of conversation.
Recently, a new acquaintance said to me, “You compliment each other perfectly. It is obvious you are truly happy together.” I was flattered. “How do you do it? What’s the magic?” she asked.
Well, it really isn’t magic. It’s agreement.
- Neither of us is a jealous person, so when the other wants to go to drinks with co-workers after work, neither thinks the other is cheating.
- We are both natural flirts, so it does not bother either of us when we catch the other in conversation with the opposite sex.
- We parent together.
- We make major decisions together.
- We celebrate each other’s accomplishments.
- We encourage each other’s dreams.
- We work together and play together.
- And most importantly, we laugh– together, at each other, at each other’s expense– it does not matter; we laugh.
What makes our relationship magical?
Yep. It’s love.